- Project name
- Creation of database of possible visible features on a fish body for photo – identification of individual fish in close group.
- MSc. Dinara Bekkozhayeva
- Description of the activities of the project
- Individual fish identification by markings and tags has been made in several ways for many years. Most of the commonly used methods are invasive and can have adverse effects on fishes, increasing the risk of sequelae or mortality, mainly for small and sensitive fishes as most of the stream fish species. The possible solution to the problem can be identification based on the patterns on the fish body. Non-invasive fish identification based on the fish appearance is cheap, less stressful for the fish and accurate.
- The laboratory is running the project of individual fish identification based on the images of the fish body pattern (dot patter of the Salmon). The approach is promising and can substitute the invasive fish tagging. The problem is the non-existence of the database of fish skin pattern that could be used for testing of the methods of fish photo identification.
- The main objective of the project is to create the database of fish skin patterns for different fish species. The students will collect the images of the patterns for different fish species and test the possibility to use these patterns for the individual identification. The student will create the database which will be publicly available for the researcher in the field.
- Number of students - 1-2
- high school students students - NO
- university students - YES
- Prepositions (what should the students know): data and image processing, Matlab
Academic and University Center
Zamek 136, Nove Hrady