- Project name
- Application of CFD for aquaculture tank design & optimization
- Ing. Štěpán Papáček Ph.D.
- Description of the activities of the project
- General goal of the project is to use a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) code to analyze
the effect of design parameters and operational conditions on (i) tank hydrodynamics, and
subsequently on (ii) biological performance of fish larvae in an aquaculture tank.
- Methodology – project milestones: First, we have to determine the ”key players”, i.e., the independent or explanatory variables
(input variables of an underlying mathematical model), model parameters, output variables,
their ranges and restrictions, etc. Then, the mathematical model describing the tank
hydrodynamics (either the ”full” CFD based model, or the simplified surrogate model, or
both) will be developed and validated. Finally, depending on available time, an optimization
problem (OP) will be defined and solved. Two examples for OP: (i) to find optimum
experimental conditions during larval rearing, (ii) to find optimal values of both design and
operational variables (input variables of full/surrogate model) assuring both high biological
performance of fish larvae and satisfactory mixing conditions (multiobjective optimization
- Number of students - 1-2
- secondary school students - NO
- university students - YES
- Prerequisites: I expect some minimal knowledge in computer science and math (numerical
methods) and a lot of personal motivation. Mastering of a CFD code (e.g., COMSOL
Multiphysics) would be highly appreciated.
Academic and University Center
Zamek 136, Nove Hrady